Are you dealing with anxiety? We can help.
Anxiety is at an all-time high, and it’s not surprising why. From the pandemic to financial stressors to increased violence across our country, our Austin, TX, physicians Dr. Paul Keinarth and Dr. Kelly Alberda want you to know that Margolin & Keinarth is a safe space for you to open up about your anxieties, fears and stressors. We also want you to know that you can turn to us if anxiety begins to impact your health, well-being and quality of life.
What is anxiety?
Anxiety is a fear or worry that often occurs as a response to a stressor. You may feel anxious about giving a presentation in front of people or nervous about your upcoming exam. Occasional feelings of anxiety are normal; however, when anxiety is persistent, severe and impacting your job, relationships and life, that’s when you could be dealing with an anxiety disorder.
What are the different kinds of anxiety disorders?
Here are the most common types of anxiety disorders our Austin, TX, physicians often spot in patients,
- Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)
- Panic disorder
- Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Social phobia
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
What are the signs of an anxiety disorder?
Symptoms will vary depending on the type of anxiety disorder you have; however, common symptoms include,
- Heart palpitations
- Trouble breathing
- Rapid breathing
- A feeling of panic or fear
- Feeling of impending doom or like you might lose control
- Sleep disturbances
- Clammy skin or breaking out in a sweat
- Upset stomach
- Chest tightness
- Unexplained aches and pains
- Restless or feeling on-edge
- Increased irritability
When should I seek medical attention for anxiety?
If you suspect you have an anxiety disorder, it’s worth it to seek help from our Austin, TX, doctors to learn more about how to manage your symptoms appropriately. Here are some signs that your anxiety is unmanageable and requires turning to a medical professional,
- Your symptoms are severe and impact your daily routine and activities
- You go out of your way to avoid certain situations, people or environments because of your anxiety
- You are experiencing insomnia, trouble concentrating or issues with memory
- You feel like you're constantly worried, or your mind is always racing
- You are unable to sleep because of a racing mind, intrusive thoughts of agitation
- You isolate yourself from others
- You mistake your anxiety for a heart attack or rush to the ER because of your symptoms
How are anxiety disorders treated?
There are many solutions to help individuals better manage their anxiety, from mindfulness and meditation to diet and lifestyle changes to medications, cognitive-behavioral therapy and alternative therapies (e.g., acupuncture).
If you are dealing with anxiety, our Austin, TX, physicians can provide advice, treatment options and referrals to get the help you need. Call Margolin & Keinarth at (512) 459-9889 to schedule an evaluation.